Installing SCVMM 2012 R2 would have not so difficult if there were not so many prerequisites to install it. The installation process of SCVMM 2012 R2 is pretty straightforward, however, most of the candidates fail to fulfill the SCVMM prerequisites. Hence, they face a lot of issues to complete the SCVMM 2012 R2 Installation. Here, we are going to perform the SCVMM 2012 R2 Installation from the most basic steps. First, we would fulfill all the prerequisites of SCVMM 2012 R2 and then we will complete the SCVMM 2012 R2 installation.
Step By Step SCVMM 2012 R2 Installation
In order to install SCVMM 2012 R2, first, you need to fulfill the following prerequisites:
- Deploy a Domain Controller Server.
- Create the required Active Directory objects that will be used throughout the lab exercise.
- Install the .NET 3.5 Framework.
- Install the supported version of the SQL Server.
- Install the supported version of Windows AIK Tool.
Important: Before proceeding to next, we assume that you already downloaded the required software and tools from the Microsoft download Center. SCVMM 2012 R2 required the following software and tools:
- SQL Server 2012 Sp1
- Windows 8.1 AIK Tool.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation Media.
- SCVMM 2012 R2 Setup File.
Creating Required Active Directory Objects
The following Active Directory object structure is required to install SCVMM 2012 R2. Create the following user and group accounts.
- domain\scvmmsvc: It will be used as SCVMM Service Account.
- domain\scvmmadmin: It will be used as SCVMM Run As Account.
- domain\sqlsvc: It will be used as SQL Service Account.
- domain\SCVMMAdmins: It will be used as SCVMM Administrators security group.
- Use the Active Directory Users and Computers window to create the scvmmsvc, scvmmadmin and sqlsvc user accounts.
- Next, create a group named SCVMMAdmins and add scvmmsvc, scvmmadmin, and sqlsvc users account as the member of this group.
- Next, make SCVMMAdmins group as the member of Administrators group.
Installing the .NET 3.5 Framework
After creating required Active Directory objects, the next step is to install the .NET 3.5 Framework. For this, you need to perform the following steps.
- Insert the Windows Server 2012 R2 ISO image file and Mount it. Alternatively, you can also use Physical DVD if you have.
- Launch the Add Roles and Features Wizard and navigate to the Select features page.
- Select the .NET Framework 3.5 Features check box and click Next.
- Click the Specify an alternate source path link and type D:\Sources\SxS in the Path text box, and then click OK.
- Click Install and complete the installation process.
Installing the SQL 2012 SP1 Server
After creating Active Directory objects and installing .NET 3.5, the next step is to install the supported version of SQL Server. Here, we will use SQL Server 2012 SP1. To do this, you need to perform the following steps:
- Double-click the SQL setup file and wait for a few moments.
- On the SQL Server Installation Center window, click the Installation link.
- Click the New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation link.
- On the Setup Support Rules page, click OK.
- On the Product Key page, accept the default selection and click Next.
- On the License Terms page, select the I accept the license terms option and then click Next.
- On the Product Updates page, ignore any update warning or error and click Next.
- After a few moments, the Setup Support Rules page will be displayed. Ensure that all the prerequisites are passed. Just notice and ignore the warnings and then click Next.
- On the Setup Role page, ensure that the SQL Server Feature Installation option is selected and then click Next.
- On the Feature Selection page, make the following selections and click proceed to next:
- Database Engine Services
- Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search
- Reporting Services – Native
- Management Tools – Basic and Complete
- On the Installation Rules page, click Next button.
- On the Instance Configuration page, ensure hat the Default instance option is selected and then click Next.
- On the Disk Space Requirements page, click Next.
- On the Server Configuration page, click Next.
- On the Database Engine Configuration page, click Add.
- On the Select Users, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups dialog box, click Advanced.
- Click Find Now and select the SCVMMAdmins group from the Search results pane.
- Click OK twice, click Add Current User, and then click Next.
- On the Reporting Services Configuration page, ensure that the Install and configure option is selected, and then click Next.
- On the Error Reporting page, click Next.
- On the Installation Configuration Rules page, click Next.
- On the Ready to Install page, click Install. The installation process should start. Wait until the installation completed and click Close, once the installation completed.
- Now, you have successfully installed the SQL server.
Installing the Windows AIK Tool
The next step is to install the supported version of the Windows AIK Tool. For this, you need to perform the following steps:
- We assume that you have already downloaded the supported version of Windows AIK Tool.
- Double-click the adksetup file to start the installation.
- On the Open File – Security Warning dialog box, click Run.
- When the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1 wizard displays, click Next.
- On the Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) page, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, click Accept.
- On the Select the features you want to install page, remove the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express check box, and then click Install.
- Click Close, once the installation completed.
- Now, you have successfully installed the supported version of Windows AIK Tool.
Installing SCVMM 2012 R2
Once you are done with all the prerequisites, let’s begin the real task: SCVMM 2012 R2 Installation. To install SCVMM 2012 R2, you need to perform the following steps:
- Double-click the SCVMM setup.exe file and click Run when the Open File – Security Warning dialog box display.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- On the Select Destination Location page, click Browse, select a folder where you want to extract the SCVMM 2012 R2 installation files, and then click OK. For example, C:\SCVMM 2012 R2.
- On the Ready to Extract page, click Extract and complete the Extracting process.
- Navigate to the extracted folder, and then double-click the setup file.
- On the Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 setup wizard, click Install.
- On the Select features to install page, select the VMM management server check box, and click Next.
Note: when you select VMM Management server check box, the VMM console will be automatically selected.
- On the Product registration information page, click Next.
- On the Please read this license agreement page, select the I have read, understood, and agree with the terms of the license agreement check box and click Next.
- On the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) page, select the No, I am not willing to participate option.
- On the Microsoft Update page, select either option and then click Next.
- On the Installation location page. Click Next.
- On the Please review these prerequisite warnings page, click Next.
- On the Database configuration page, ensure the following and then click Next:
- Your server name is populated in the Server name text box.
- VirtualManagerDB is selected as New database.
- On the Configure service account and distributed key management page, type the DomainName\scvmmsvc in the User name and domain text box. Fill the password for the selected user and then click Next.
- On the Port configuration page, notice the default Management Server port numbers and then click Next.
Question: What is the default port number for communication with the VMM console?
- On the Library configuration page, ensure the following and then click Next:
- The Create a new library share option is selected.
- The Share name has set as MSSCVMMLibrary.
- On the Installation summary page, click Install and complete the installation process.
- Remove the Check for the latest Virtual Machine Manager updates check box and click Close.
- On the Connect to Server dialog box, ensure that localhost:8100 is populated in the Server name text box, and then click Connect.
Note: replace the default Server name and port number with actual if required.
- The Virtual Machine Manager console will be displayed.
That’s all you need to perform SCVMM 2012 R2 Installation. Please drop your queries in the comment box, if got stuck anywhere. Do share the article.