In the previous posts, we have explained a lot about the VirtualBox. In this post, we will explain how to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox. This is the fourth article of the Getting Started With VirtualBox step by step guide that contains the following step by step tutorials:
- Downloading the latest version of VirtualBox.
- Creating a new virtual machine in VirtualBox.
- Understanding and configuring virtual machine settings in VirtualBox.
- Installing a guest operating system in VirtualBox (this post).
- Working with snapshots in VirtualBox.
- Installing VirtualBox Extension Pack.
- Encrypting a virtual machine in VirtualBox.
- Creating a clone virtual machine in VirtualBox.
Installing Guest OS in VirtualBox
VirtualBox supports a wide range of guest operating systems. However, in this post, we will focus on installing Windows 10 on VirtualBox. Installing Windows 10 on VirtualBox is almost similar as we install it on the other virtualization platforms such as Hyper-V and VMware Workstation/Player. To install Windows 10 on VirtualBox, you need to perform the following steps:
Since in the previous post, we have already created a new virtual machine in VirtualBox, hence we will continue to use the same virtual machine for this post. To install Windows 10 on VirtualBox, you need to perform the following steps:
- First of all, you need the installation media (DVD or ISO) of the guest operating system that you want to install on VirtualB0ox. In this case, Windows 10. The most comfortable installation media is ISO. The following figure shows the Windows 10 VM.
- To use an ISO image file as an installation source media, click Devices and navigate to Choose disk image option in the VirtualBox VM console. Browse and select the desired ISO image (Windows 10) that you want to use as an installation source.
- You may need to reset the virtual machine to restart it if the booting failed message appears. Once the virtual machine has reset, the Windows Setup screen will be displayed.
The installation process is pretty straightforward, just follow the on-screen instructions and complete the installation. However, if you are new to the Windows 10 installation. We have explained all the steps in detail. Keep continue to follow the steps.
- On the next Windows Setup screen, click Install Now to proceed.
- On the Activate Windows screen, either type the product key if you have or click I don’t have a product key to continue with the evaluation version.
- On the next screen, select the desired edition of the Windows 10 operating system and click Next to proceed.
- On the License terms page, you know what should you do. Accept the license terms and click Next to proceed.
- On the next screen, there are two options: Upgrade and Custom.
- Upgrade: Select the Upgrade option if you have an earlier version of Windows OS such as Windows 7 or 8 to want to upgrade to Windows 10.
- Custom: For the clean and fresh installation, select the Custom option and proceed to next.
- On the disk partition screen, select an existing partition or create a new one and then click Next to proceed.
- The installation process starts. It may take 10-15 minutes depending on your system performance. After some time the Get going fast screen Click Use express settings to proceed.
- On the next screen, fill the required details to create a user account. Click Next to proceed.
- After some time, the Desktop screen displays. Thus completes the installation process of Windows 10 in VirtualBox. Keep continue to use your Windows 10 virtual machine or power off it to perform the next exercise.
In this post, we have explained a step by step guide to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox. We will use this virtual machine to explain the next step by step tutorials. Stay connected to learn more!