Kali is the latest Linux distribution that is getting popularity over BackTrack distribution. It is basically used by hacking security lovers and experts. You can install Kali Linux as a virtual machine on a virtual platform such as VMware Player or VirtualBox. The initial installation process of Kali on VMware Player is almost similar as we install any other guest operating system on VMware platform. However, after the boot screen, the installation options are definitely different from other guest operating systems. In this post, we will explain how to install Kali on VMware Workstation or VMware Player. We are going to use VMware Player for this demonstration. If you love VirtualBox, following is the complete step by step guide for you.
Installing Kali on VMware Workstation/Player
To install Kali on VMware Player, you need to perform the following steps:
- Open the VMware Workstation Player console and click Create a New Virtual Machine.
- On the New Virtual Machine Wizard, select the Installer disc image file (iso) option. Click Browse and select the Kali Linux ISO image file and then click Next.
- On the Select a Guest Operating System page, select Linux under the Guest operating system section and then click Next.
- On the Name the Virtual Machine page, specify the name and location of the virtual machine and then click Next.
- On the Specify Disk Capacity page, select the Store virtual disk as a single file option, and then click Next.
- On the Ready to Create Virtual Machine page, click Customize Hardware.
- On the Hardware window, set the minimum Memory size as 2048 MB.
- Set the network adapter as Bridged and also select the Replicate option. The Replicate physical network adapter option will allow your virtual machine to use the same IP address (provided by DHCP server) while moving within Wi-Fi network.
- The Ready to Create Virtual Machine page is returned, click Finish.
- On the VMware Player console, click Play virtual machine to power on this VM.
- The boot screen will display. Select the Graphical install option to install Kali with GUI interface.
- On the Select a language screen, select the desired language and then click Continue.
- On the Select your location screen, select the desired location and then click Continue.
- On the Configure the keyboard screen, select the desired keyboard language and then click Continue. The Load installer screen displays, wait for a few minutes.
- On the Configure the network screen, set the hostname and click Continue.
- On the next screen, set the domain name and then click Continue.
- On the Setup users and passwords screen, set the password for the root user and then click Continue.
- On the Configure clock zone screen, select the desired time zone and then click Continue.
- On the Partition disks screen, select the desired partition method or accept the default selection and then click Continue.
- On the next screen, click Continue. Select the desired partitioning scheme and then click Continue.
- On the next screen, review the partitions and then click Continue.
- On the next screen, click Yes to format the partitions and then click Continue.
- The installation process starts. It may take 15-20 minutes. Wait until the Configure the package manager screen displays. Ensure that Use a network monitor option set as Yes and then click Continue.
- Set the Proxy setting if required. On the Grub screen, click Continue to install the boot loader.
- On the next screen, select the disk where you want to install the boot loader and then click Continue. The boot loader will be installed.
- Once the installation completes, click Continue.
- After some time, the Sign in screen will display. Login with root user and the password you set previously.
- Once you are signed in, the Desktop screen will display.
That’s all you need to install Kali on VMware Workstation or VMware Workstation Player. Enjoy your Kali Linux virtual machine as you wish. Stay connected for more upcoming articles on Kali Linux. Please do share the post if you love this.