VMware and Hyper-V both are the virtualization platforms that allow you to create and run multiple VMs on a host machine. In the traditional virtualization method, a hypervisor cannot be run inside another hypervisor. For example, if you install Hyper-V on a virtual machine that is running on VMware Workstation or VMware Player, you will get the following error:
Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already running
But don’t worry, there is a trick that allows you to install Hyper-V on VMware Workstation. Running a hypervisor inside a virtual machine is called Nested Virtualization. In this post, we will explain step by step how to install and run Hyper-V on VMware Workstation or VMware Player.
Steps to Install Hyper-V on VMware
In order to install Hyper-V on VMware Workstation, you need to perform the following steps:
- Ensure that the VMware virtual machine on which you want to install Hyper-V is powered off.
- Go to the directory where the virtual machine files are stored. Select and right-click VMware virtual machine configuration file (extension .VMX) and open with Notepad as shown in the following figure.
- In the VMX configuration file, type the following code at the end of the file
hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE" mce.enable = "TRUE" vhu.enable = "TRUE"
- Let’s have look at each of preceding options:
- hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = “FALSE”: The value “FALSE” will tell the Windows operating system such as Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012/16 that it is not running on a virtualized platform.
- mce.enable = “TRUE”: MCE stands for Machine Check Exception that allows the Windows VM to report CPU hardware issues.
- vhu.enable = “TRUE”: The value “TRUE” will enable the nested virtualization for this VM.
- Now save the VMX file and open the VMware Workstation tool. Open the Virtual Machine Settings window of the VM inside which you want to install Hyper-V.
- Under the Hardware tab, select Processors in the left pane. In the right pane, select the Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI and Virtualize CPU performance counters check boxes and then click OK.
- Power on the virtual machine, depending on the Windows operating system you are using, follow one of following options to install Hyper-V.
- For Windows8/8.1/10 operating systems, open the Program and Features option in the control panel and select the Hyper-V check box to install it.
- For Windows Server 2008/2012/R2/2016 operating systems, open the Server Manager tool, use Add role and features link to install Hyper-V on a virtual machine.
- The next process will remain straightforward, just following the on-screen instructions to install the Hyper-V on VMware Workstation.
In this post, we have explained how to install Hyper-V on VMware Workstation or VMware Player. Hope, you will be able to do it. Do share the article.