Physical to Virtual (P2V) is a conversion process that allows you to convert a physical machine into a virtual hard disk (VHD) file. This VHD file can be imported on a host machine running with the compatible version of VMware Workstation. In this post, we are going focus on how to perform the VMware physical to virtual conversion using VMware vCenter Converter. For this, we will convert a Windows physical machine to VMware virtual machine.
Prerequisites of VMware Physical to Virtual Conversion
Before performing VMware physical to virtual conversion process, you should verify that the physical machine meets the following prerequisites:
- The physical machine is running on the compatible version of operating system.
- You have the administrative privilege on the physical machine.
- Workstation host system has network connectivity to the physical machine.
- On the Workstation host system, User Account Control (UAC) is disabled.
- On the physical machine, Firewall is disabled.
Performing VMware Physical to Virtual Conversion
Once you verified the prerequisites, you need to perform the following steps for the VMware physical to virtual conversion:
- Download the compatible version of VMware vCenter Converter.
- Install the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone tool.
- Execute the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to install VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.
- Once the installation is finished, clopen the VMware Workstation console.
- On the host system, open the VMware Workstation console, click File, and then select Virtualize a Physical Machine.
- Provide the following details:
- Hostname or IP address
- For the testing purpose, you can test it with the localhost system.
Note: You must use the Administrator account or a user account that is a member of the local Administrators group.
- On the Store the new Virtual Machine page, type a name for the new virtual machine, specify a location where you want to store the virtual machine files, and then click Next.
- On the Create a Network Share page, type the user name and password of the host system.
- Click Finish to create a virtual machine from the physical machine. The physical to virtual conversion process starts.
- To monitor the conversion process, log in to VMware vCenter Converter console.
- In the vCenter Converter console, verify the status of the P2V conversion process. The time required for the conversion process depends on the data stored on the physical machine.
That’s all you need to do to perform the VMware physical to virtual conversion process. Hope, it helps you and you are able to convert a physical machine into the virtual machine. If you stuck anywhere, please drop your queries in the comment box.