It is common to forget your password of a login account, especially when we do not use our account or system for a long time. Sometimes it is very critical and urgent to log in our account and get access the required data. However, forgetting the password of your account will lead you to prevent from accessing your account’s resources. If you forget your Windows system’s password, you would not be able to login your system until you recover/reset/crack your account’s password. But, how will you reset forgotten password in Windows? The answer may vary but it is not so difficult to recover or reset the forgotten Windows password. And more importantly, you can do it without using any third party tool or software.
There are many ways to reset Windows system’s password such as by using the password cracking tools or by using Windows installation media such as DVD or USB drive. Here, we will explain how to reset forgotten password in Windows without any software. The process will remain same for all the latest Windows operating systems such as Windows 7/8/10 and even for Windows Servers.
Steps to Reset Forgotten Password in Windows 10
In order to recover forgotten password in Windows, you need to perform the following steps:
- Boot your system from the installation media you are using and press Enter when the Press any key to boot message appears.
- On the Windows Setup page, open the Command Prompt window by pressing Shift+F10 keys. On the Command Prompt window, you need to find the drive where the system files are stored. Since most of the time drive “C” is reserved for system drive (for the bootloader), the next available drive “D” should be your data drive. However, you can use the fsutil fsinfo drives command to list all the available drives.
- Now, move on to D:\windows\system32 directory. To do so, execute the following commands.
X:\Sources>D: D:\>cd Windows\system32
- Here, we will rename the Utility Manager file (Utilman.exe) to CMD.exe. The Utilman.exe file is used to open the windows utilities such as Magnifier, Narrator, and On-screen keyboard, and it is available at the login screen. When you replace it with CMD.exe and will try to open windows utilities at the login screen, it will show you the Command Prompt window with the admin privilege. Now, we hope you got my point, what this trick does actually. If you have a doubt, drop your queries in the comment box. So let’s begin.
- Execute the following commands to rename the Utilmane.exe file to CMD.exe file and then restart the system. However, it is always recommended to take backup of your files before doing any R&D on your working system.
D:\Windows\system32>ren utilmane.exe utilman.org D:\Windows\system32>copy cmd.exe utilman.exe D:\Windows\system32>Shutdown –r –t 00
- Once the system is rebooted and the Sign in screen is displayed, click the Utility Manager icon.
- On the Command Prompt window, type the following command to reset the administrator password and use this password to sign in to your system.
Net user administrator * Type a password for the user: <your password> Retype the password to confirm: <your password>
- Alternatively, you can also use the following command to reset a user’s password in Windows.
Net user <user name> <password>
That’s all you need to do to reset forgotten password in Windows. Hope, you have loved and enjoyed it. Do share the article with your friends to help them.