We do not need to remind you that what’s the importance of Internet in nowadays. Almost every people getting connected with the globe using the Internet services. However, sometimes when you do not have access to internet may frustrate you a lot. Today, we will discuss a common error that may prevent you to access your favorite Web sites. People use various types of Web browser such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox to access the Internet. During access to Internet, you may get DNS related error such as DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN (as shown in the following figure) that prevents you to access few of the Internet websites (you might be able to access few web sites but not the all).
Solution: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED Error
Since there is no exact method, path, or steps to troubleshoot any network or system related issue. The same error may display by various issues. There are few tips and tricks that can help you to solve the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error. It may be possible that in your case one method may work and in the case of other person, second or third method may work.
Checking Proper Proxy Settings
Whenever, you get the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error, first of all try to ping the domain web site name, that you are trying to access. If you are able to ping successfully, check your your proxy server setting. Make sure you are using correct proxy server IP address. If your network environment does not use proxy, remove the proxy address from Internet Options.
- To do so, open the Run dialog box, type inetcpl.cpl and press the Enter button.
- On the Internet Options window, select the Connections tab and then click the LAN settings. In the Local Area Network (LAN) settings dialog box, validate your proxy server address.
If the above-mentioned method does not help you, try the second one.
Using Public DNS IP Addresses
- Open the Network Adapter properties and change the DNS server IP addresses. To do so, type ncpa.cpl in the Run dialog box and press the Enter key.
- Select and right-click your active network adapter and then select the TCP/IPv4 option. On the TCP/IPv4 Properties dialog box, use the following public DNS server IP addresses even if you are obtaining IP address settings from the DHCP server.
These both are well-known public DNS IP addresses that anyone can use if he/she does not know what DNS server IP addresses are being used. Now, try to access your favorite website. Hope it works for you, if not then continue with the below-mentioned method.
Resetting IP Address Settings
Open the Command Prompt window with the admin privileges and type the following commands to release and renew IP addresses. If you are using static IP address, skip this step.
- c:\>ipconfig /release
- c:\>ipconfig /release
Now, execute the following commands to flush the DNS entries, reset Winsock service, and restart the system.
- C:\>ipconfig /flushdns
- C:\>ipconfig /registerdns
- C:\>netsh winsock reset
- C:\>shutdown -r -t 00
Once you system is rebooted, try to open websites that you wanted. Hope, the above-mentioned tips and tricks helped you to solve DNS_PROBE_FINISHED error. If you have any further suggestion, please share with our readers that would be highly appreciable.